Y’all this One Room Challenge is going to be one for the books for me, because I’m finishing up another room IN MY HOUSE! My dining room is seeing some serious progress with the built-in and EYE AM EXCITED
As mentioned before, the One Room Challenge is a six-week series started and hosted by Linda of Calling it Home, where we transform a room from start to finish and reveal it at the end. Linda invites 20 participants as featured designers to post updates on Wednesdays, but anyone, anywhere, can join in as a guest participant and post their updates on Thursdays. I’m a guest participant, so make sure you jump back over here on those days! Check out all the participants, both featured and guests, here.
You gotta take a look at last week’s post to see how this project started and the progress made up to this week. Below is a photo of my dining room when we first bought the house (at listing). I KNOW there will be a lot of referencing this photo when we’re finished, because it will be a huge difference. Check out last week’s post for more before photos.
And here’s the progress made…
The built-in! I have never been this excited about a project at home (except my laundry room wallpaper)! It’s become better than expected and it’s only halfway done!
Did you notice that the bottom cabinet sticks out more than the left and right cabinet? I mentioned on Instagram that I used base and wall cabinets for this project, for a few different reasons.
- The wall on the right is only about 17 inches deep, which meant, if I used a base cabinet (which is 24″ deep), it would stick out into the kitchen opening. I definitely didn’t want that. So, I went with wall cabinets on each end, 12″ deep.
- I needed some deep storage to store my mixer and other small appliances, which meant that at least one base cabinet was needed.
- I am in love with the staggered look of built-ins when the middle section sticks out further than the ends. It looks more custom and expensive to me than if I would have the entire unit at the same depth.
We got the spindles removed and tomorrow (fingers crossed) we’ll have the wall closed. Getting those spindles out already makes the room feel more updated, and with the wall closed, my dining room is going to feel so much more cozy! Can’t wait!
There’s still A LOT to do! Here’s what I expect to have done by next week’s update:
- Scrape the ceiling (was supposed to have this done already)
- Paint the ceiling
- Replace ceiling fan with a bomb chandelier
- Finish built-in unit
- Close the wall opening
- Strip chairs and sand them
Oh, I decided that I didn’t want to give you ALL the design tea. I’m gonna surprise you with some things throughout the next 4 weeks.
But, here’s some of what’s planned for this room, including the wallpaper, fabric, and paint combo.
I wish I had gotten more done, but now we’re about to get the labor wheels rolling! I want to hear your thoughts about what’s happened so far, though. Let me know in the comments below.
Till next time,